Feb 08

10 Celebrities and What They’re Doing in Colombia

So we’ve heard what people from all around the world have said about why you should come to Colombia, and we at the Colombia Travel Blog have made our feelings pretty clear, too. We’re also part of a group of Official Travel Bloggers in Colombia that includes over 30 expats from all over the world writing about the country. We also made this infographic of 5 Reasons to Come to Colombia to help you along the way…

But, don’t just take it from us mere mortals… Look at who is paying close attention to Colombia these days.

Anthony Bourdain
Celebrity Chef

Anthony Bourdain
Anthony Bourdain

While filming in Colombia, Bourdain stated: “It’s ludicrous this place exists and everybody doesn’t want to live here.”

Steve Tyler
Aerosmith singer

Steve Tyler, photo credit: Carlos Varela
Steve Tyler, photo credit: Carlos Varela

During an Aerosmith concert in Bogota, Tyler paid homage to the Colombian audience by screaming: “Que Chimba!” (“How awesome”).

Mick Jagger
Rolling Stone

Mick Jagger
Mick Jagger

Jagger, a long time visitor to Cartagena (even during the time most people didn’t dare visit the country at all), has reportedly got property in the city.

Bill Gates
Mr. Microsoft

Bill Gates
Bill Gates

Bill Gates is one of the many businessmen investing in Colombia, and has visited on several occassions to promote computer education. Gates said he was delighted to be in Colombia, and his optimism for the future of the country and his own project here.

Scott Steindorff
Director of Love in the Time of Cholera

Scot Steindorff
Scot Steindorff

Initially Steindorff was going to film ‘Love in the Time of Cholera’ in Brazil, but was persuaded to visit Cartagena. He quickly changed his mind. “When I got here, I fell in love with the place.”

Bill Clinton
Ex-President of the US

Bill Clinton
Bill Clinton

Clinton had an important part in ‘Plan Colombia’, but has visited recently with wife Hilary, exclaiming that the food here was “wonderful”. He’ll be visiting again in February for a spot of golf.

Charlie Sheen
Actor

Charlie Sheen
Charlie Sheen

On a visit to Cartagena to scope out the city for his upcoming film project, Sheen praised the food before expressing his contentment to be in Colombia, especially in a city as “beautiful as Cartagena”.

Anderson Cooper
Television Anchor

Anderson Cooper
Anderson Cooper

After announcing Medellin to be one of his favourite cities in the world, Cooper stated that: “Colombia is a fantastic country. They’ve overcome a lot, and there are many exciting things happening here. It’s a great place to visit.”

Sam Zell
Billionaire Real Estate Investor

Sam Zell
Sam Zell

Zell has talked at length about opportunities in Colombia, calling it the “next star of Latin America”.

Mel C
Spice Girl

Mel C
Mel C

Having admitted to her fears of coming to Colombia, Mel C conceded: “I’m crazy. Cartagena is beautiful.”

Not only this but Lindsey Lohan and Beyonce are both planning to visit. Britney Spears recently played here. Morrissey, MGMT, TV On the Radio and many more indie acts are due to arrive on the scene.

Looks like celebrities are getting pretty star struck by our beloved Colombia.

Paul

10 thoughts on “10 Celebrities and What They’re Doing in Colombia

James Thomas on

Danny Glover, Mel Gibson (not at the same time) Eva Longoria of course Shakira and countless more. The thing is these are famous but small fish. Its the ones you don’t recognize but have billions that also like to spend time in the city.

David G on

I thought that was Melanie B who was in Cartagena and not Melanie C, however I like her a lot and if she has been in our country, great! She’ll always be welcome 😉

Julian Millan on

Ok I raised in Colombia and the meaning of the word “chimba”can be used in a different way depents how you use it ans what are going to refer to example it could be used like this

Que chimba la pase anoche
    What a great night I had

La chimba im doing this
    Hell no voy hacer esto

Esta vieja se ve una chimba
    That girl looks hot
    Does are some examples you use the word and it also refers to the mens genital

Barry on

Sorry to disagree but ‘chimba’ does not refer to a man’s genitals, as should be obvious from the spelling. It refers to that most private part of the female anatomy. It is a slang word, not used by women but, in my experience, carrying none of the shock or unacceptability of its literal translation into English. For Colombian men, ‘chimba’ is something wonderful and desirable.

Some years ago, in the town of Anserma Caldas, I was passed by two boys on a motorcycle, and the one at the back was wearing a black t-shirt emblazoned with “Jesus is a ****”. I must admit to being shocked. Who were these boys I thought? Fundamentalist atheist extremists? I could only imagine what would happen if the same thing were flaunted about other Prophets. Instant fatwas all round?

The explanation, of course, was that the boys were enthusiastic evangelicals who decided to trumpet their adoration for their Saviour in English, not knowing that the literal translation might not convey the message they were intending.

I know what it’s like. My jokes almost never work when I try and tell them in Spanish.

Runaway Brit on

My Colombian friend informs me that ‘Chimba’ can mean something very different in Colombian spanish, are you sure that’s not what Steve Tyler meant rather than ‘awesome’?? 😉

Paul on

Haha, a brave man that uses the alternative meaning in front of that many Colombians!

PattyM on

Chimba has a couple of meanings (in colombian street lingo)= one being AWESOME/COOL (the other= a man’s genitals.) Neither is proper or used in formal conversation…but Steven Tyler is still a “bad-ass” 😀

Stefan on

About mr Jagger, he actually owns a house in Cartagena ( if I believe in my horsewagonguide who took me for a roundtrip in the old city and pointed out the house for me).

Great blogs, let there be more!

Stefan

Paul on

Thanks for the comment Stefan… I wasn’t sure if he owned or just was looking, so I went for the safer option. I’ll correct it though, I believe your tour guide!