Feb 05

5 Reasons to come to Colombia (Infographic) – Please share it!

Clear waters at Tayrona

Hi All,

They say pictures speak a thousand words, and we believe it to be true! Today the Colombia Travel Blog is very proud to announce a new series of Infographics conceptualized and written by JL, Paul and Ryan and brilliantly designed and executed by our own Alejandra (@alejandrawings). We want to ask our readers and Colombia believers to please help us spread the good word about Colombia by sharing the following image as much as you can to get across in a simple way what people are missing by not coming to Colombia.

With no further delay , 5 reasons to Come to Colombia – The Infographic

Colombia Travel Infographic 1

31 thoughts on “5 Reasons to come to Colombia (Infographic) – Please share it!

1. nathalie on

Great blog, thanks for taking the time to write about our beautiful country. Please keep updating, great job!

2. Kevinn on

Thank you for letting the entire world knows what Colombia really means, I am Colombian. I’ve been abroad for a couple years now and I always try to create in people a different idea of what my country is. You guys are doing a great job, keep it up. Muchas Gracias!

3. JL on

Gracias a ti Ana por tus palabras … las preconcepciones, los estereotipos y asumir como real lo que la prensa o Hollywood nos ha estado dando de “comer” tantos anhos, son dificiles de combatir, pero poco a poco la imagen de Colombia va cambiando en el exterior, es por eso que agradecemos mensajes como los tuyos que nos alientan a continuar con mas fuerza y que nos ayudan a seguir diseminando todo lo que escribimos con el mundo. Un Abrazo!

4. Ana on

que chévere lo que hacen chicos! es muy emotivo ver lo que escriben de Colombia y que algunos de ustedes como extranjeros hablen así de mi país porque han notado que la esencia de aquí es básicamente mostrar que a pesar de los problemas y las situaciones difíciles que se viven acá, luchamos cada día por salir adelante y no dejar que unos pocos sigan opacando nuestra imagen en el exterior, donde las personas se dejan llevar por los estigmas y de entrada piensan que somos malas personas; particularmente tengo la experiencia de un viaje a México donde fui en un tour de 15 y en un restaurante un mesero nos preguntó por la coca, ah? con este tipo de cosas es con lo que tenemos q vivir cuando salimos del país o hablamos con personas de fuera, es algo triste y por eso cuando un colombiano triunfa en el exterior nos sentimos muuuuuy orgullosos, porque demostramos lo que verdaderamente es ser colombiano.
    Por último, quería decirles chicos que me encanta el blog y ya empecé a rotarlo. Saludos

Ana on

se me olvidó algo!… Gracias 🙂

5. Nathalia on

Being a Colombian I really do hate how Bogota is despicted in Hollywood movies. Bogota is a big city and it’s also a little cold most people dress really nicely and most wear coats and boots so I really dislike how it was portrayed as a jungle with people dancing in short dresses in a hot climate city in the movie Mr and Mrs Smith . Also in the film Colombiana it was portrayed as looking a lot like a dessert since the movie was mainly shot in northern Mexico and it really takes a lot of credibility off this hollywood movies and the respect of the producers since they didnt even make an effort to show Bogota for what it really is specially in a film that carries the countrie’s name.

JL on

Very True Nathalia! Take a look at what we wrote about “Colombiana” a few months back as part of our “Hollywood vs Colombia” series: https://seecolombia.travel/blog/2011/09/hollywood-vs-colombia-colombiana/

6. Andres on

Are you sure that Bogota is the third largest city in South America? I would have thought that Buenos Aires is number 3, with Bogota being the 4th. What are the measurements and sources for that statement? At least in terms of metropolitan population I think BA is larger.

7. Gooch on

Really love how you used the infographic to tell a great story about Columbia. Great job Alejandra, wish I could use your skills. Keep up the great work guys I love your blog.

JL on

Hi Gooch, Thanks for your words..we just checked your site and like it a lot too (already bookmarked) … we loved the Grenada is not Granada feature ( Because we really insist a lot in the fact that ColOmbia is not ColUmbia too :)) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=318000741589002&set=a.189505284438549.60691.150402541682157&type=3&theater Un Abrazo!

8. Juan Saavedra on

Typo in the first info gram : it should read people that look ( not looks) like valderrama.
    Great work keep it up!

JL on

Thanks for pointing it out, we’ll fix it ASAP 🙂 Abrazo!

9. George Hastings on

Where did you find the statistic that the murder rate in Medellin is lower than in Washington DC? I am certain that this is misinformation…

Paul on

There are quite a few sources that report this statistic. Frommers is one: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/medellin/4163010001.html but you can google it and a number of websites will come up with the same stat.

George Hastings on

Curious. I would have considered Frommers a reliable source. Medellin´s official coroners report states that there were 1578 homicides in Medellin in 2010. http://colombiareports.com/pics/2010/10/homicides0909a.pdf
        With a population of around 2.3 million, that creates an average of about 68 murders per 100,000, compared to around 20 in Washington D.C.
        Nice article none-the-less.

10. Tigre Haller on

What a great and easy way to see what Colombia has to offer! Mil gracias.

11. Eddie R. Andrews on

Hi
    I have lived in Colombia for 4 years and enjoyed your site very much, and bookmarked it. But I noticed one thing right away. It is normal and correct on any geographic presentation to show directions as West to the left and East to the right. You have the Caribbean (notice spelling) to the West and the Pacific to the East.
    I will forward your site to my friends in the US. Keep up the good work.

Smiles, Eddie

Paul on

Glad to hear you’re enjoying Colombia and will spread the word for us.

We’ll get to the corrections ASAP, thanks for helping to point them out.

Paul

12. Juan Molina on

This is really good and informative it makes even more proud to be colombian…..i did notice a typo at the end where it said “second happiest planet on earth” we are def not a planet yet lol but a great country!!!

Paul on

Haha, thanks! Should be all fixed now 🙂

13. Anne on

Hello!
    What a nice way to tell people that Colombia is safer and more beautiful everybody think. For me this is important: I really want to go to Colombia this summer with my boyfriend, but I got scared of the last bomb attacks (at first february) of FARC in Tumaco and Villa Rica. Maybe someone can answer these questions for me: are these touristy places, and is it now more dangerous for tourists to come to Colombia? It seems such a beautiful country, and I know more people who have been there and they all said it’s wonderful. But it doesn’t sound so safe to me if I read these stories about bomb attacks. I’m afraid that this is a sign for more bomb attacks in the future. Maybe I’m wrong, hope that anyone can tell me more about the current safety situation in Colombia.

Greets!

Paul on

Hi,

Thanks for stopping by and for the questions. To reassure you, these are not touristy places at all. If you stay on the usual tourist course you’ll be absolutely fine. If you have any more concerns about safety, just look through the blog, there are many posts about what you can do to help yourself!

Serious, FARC-type crime really is restricted to places you’re not likely to explore, so don’t be afraid to come and visit this wonderful country.

14. Juan Acosta on

This is avery positive advertising for Colombia but when I visited Colombia some years go with my wife (she is Filipina) we experiment an unforgettable situation at the El Dorado airport we were strip of our clothes and X-rays were taken
    and treated like criminals, after we passed all these test we were allowed to proceed with our travel. I am Colombian
    but after these events I have no desire to go Back, Please tell me that this situations had stop.

Paul on

Hi,

I’ve never heard of anything like that happening in my time here, it’s very surprising to hear about it now!

Please rest assured that nothing of thhe sort is likely to happen in 2012, so please don’t be scared to come back!

Paul

JL on

Hi Juan,

Thanks a lot for writing … what you describe is sadly what used to happen in Colombia way more than a decade ago , I can assure you that that kind of situation is unheard of nowadays, here at the Colombia we try in every possible way to help to change that image that belongs to the past. I hope that sometime in the future you decide to come back to check by yourself, just let us know and we’ll be thrilled to answer any question you have. Please take a look at these 3 videos from Anthony Bourdain’s show No Reservation https://seecolombia.travel/blog/2011/06/anthony-bourdain-no-reservations-in-colombia/ , the first minute of the first video sums up in a very clear way what we are trying to say. Un Abrazo grande desde Colombia!